Since scientists were able to see bacteria through microscopes, the little organisms have had a bad reputation. But recent research has shown us that certain bacterias play an essential role in our digestive system and can even be tied to a person’s risk of diabetes, obesity, depression, inflammatory bowel disease, and colon cancer. Saratoga Supplements is dedicated to providing the best supplements for overall health, but gut bacteria cannot be balanced with a supplement alone. Continue reading to learn how to get your digestive system on track and keep your gut flora healthy. Check out the video below!
The Importance Of Digestive Bacteria
Bacteria is present throughout our entire body, but the bacteria that live in our digestive system are believed to be the most important to overall well-being and health. Our gut bacteria, which lines everything from our mouth to our colon to our intestines, do a lot more than help digest food. They also play a role in our immune system, mood, and metabolism.
The good type of gut bacteria, called probiotics, are essential to keep a wide variety of healthy bacteria in your gut. A quality probiotic supplement is a good place to start on your journey to better gut health. While probiotics and healthy bacteria can be found in some fermented foods and yogurt, most people do not consume enough of these products daily to reach beneficial levels of probiotics.
Other Steps To A Healthy Digestive System
- Avoid antibiotics when possible. While antibiotics are vital to treating some serious infections, they are often overprescribed for less severe cases. Antibiotics kill bacteria - both good and bad. Having diverse bacteria in your system is essential for your well-being, and recovering those bacteria after taking antibiotics can be a long process.
- Change your diet. A “western diet,” that is full of bad fats and sugar can harm and inhibit healthy bacteria. Eating foods that are high in fiber and low in sugar is a great place to start.
- Learn to love fermented foods. The fermentation process in food causes healthy probiotics to thrive. Yogurts that contain live active cultures are a great place to start - just avoid those that are also packed with sugar. Well-known fermented foods include pickles, sauerkraut, soy sauce, tofu, and kimchi. However, a popular option for probiotic delivery at the moment is kombucha, which is a fizzy drink made from tea, water, sugar, yeast, and bacteria.
- Keep stress at bay. While it may seem odd that stress is linked to your gut bacteria, there are neurons in the intestinal tract that send information to your brain. When you are stressed, your brain signals that stress to your gut in the form of chemicals that affect how digestion and nutrient absorption work. Consider meditation or exercise, which can also help concentration and be a natural mood boost.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps to flush out toxins from the body and restore life to our cells. Ensuring that any bad substances are removed from your body is a great step towards overall gut health.
A Healthy Gut Equals A Healthy Life
While the gut isn’t the end-all-be-all of health, it plays a hugely essential role in our well-being. A high-quality daily probiotic supplement is a perfect place to start when striving for gut health. Our Radical Reds Superfood Blend is an ideal mix of both high-quality probiotics and digestive enzymes, as well as a wealth of superfood vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are naturally found in red fruits and vegetables.
Digestive health supplements that contain probiotics are vital to living a healthy life, preventing disease, and boosting your immune system. Combining this with the steps above can help get you on your way to overall wellness, aid in digestion, and start feeling better naturally. Be sure to check out our other digestive health supplements!